What is Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate?
Calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate (calcium stearoyl lactylate or CSL) or E482 is a safe and effective food additive approved by FDA.Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate is the calcium salt of the stearic acid ester of lactyl lactylate which is non-toxic, biodegradable.It is oil soluble with white or slightly yellow in colour. It is used in variety of food products like baked foods, desserts.
Synonyms:Calcium verate; Calcium stearoyl lactylate; Calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate; Stearoyl-2-lactylic acid.
Molecular Formula: C40H74O8Ca
Preparation of CSL:
CSL is chemically synthesized from lactic acid, stearic acid and calcium hydroxide. It is formed by the esterification of commercial stearic acid with lactic acid and neutralized to the calcium salts
Uses of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate:
- Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate is used as an emulsifier in baking industries.
- It acts as surfactant.
- It is used as preservative and stabilizer.
- It is also used in various cosmetics.
- It provides moisturizer to certain formulations.
Advantages of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate:
- Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate used as an emulsifier.
- It is used in bakery products, cereals, desserts, pudding, sauces, canned meats etc.
- It is used in formulation of lip products & skin products.
Disadvantages of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate:
No such disadvantage is reported of Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate.
FDA Approval on Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate
Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate is generally regarded as safe by FDA.