What is Dehydrated Garlic?
Dehydrated mean NO water content
Dehydrated garlic means Garlic with no water content, or dry garlic, which is used instantly in food preparations.
Garlic is a sulphur-containing compound which gives garlic its distinctive pungent smell and taste. It is high in a sulfur compound called allicin, which is believed to bring most of the health benefits. It is used in food preparations because of its preservative action and its flavour.
Synonyms: Allium sativum
History of Dehydrated Garlic:
Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world. It is a hardy perennial belonging to the liliaceae family. Sanskrit records document the use of garlic remedies approximately 5000 years ago. Throughout history, garlic has been regarded as a well-trusted remedy: during epidemics such as cholera and tuberculosis and in World War 1 where it was used as an antiseptic applied to wounds to cleanse and heal and to treat dysentery caused by the poor sanitary conditions in the trenches. (bbcgoodfood) Garlic is native to Central Asia and northeastern Iran.
Production of Dehydrated Garlic:
Dehydrating garlic is simple and completely straight forward. All you need to do is peel the garlic, chop it and then place it in the dehydrator.
Garlic grows underground in the form of a bulb. Its long green shoots produce flower stalks called scapes, which can be eaten.
Uses of Dehydrated Garlic:
- Garlic has been used as a flavour booster in curries.
- Garlic has anti-fungal & anti-bacterial activity and thus used in food preparations.
- It has been used in pizza toppings, pastas, meat preparations.
- Dehydrated garlic is used in various instant food preparations.
- Garlic may help to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from the body.
- Raw garlic is a potent natural antibiotic.
Advantages of Dehydrated Garlic:
- Garlic contains anti-oxidants that prevent dementia.
- It is a good source of manganese, selenium and vitamin C.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer, lowers cholesterol levels.
- It also acts as an anti-coagulant and lowers the risk of heart attack.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- It has very few calories.
- It could cure lung infection.
- It reduces the severity of common illness like common cold.
- Athletic performance can be improved with garlic supplements.
Disadvantages Dehydrated Garlic:
- Garlic poses little safety issues and allergies are rare.
Side effects of consuming high amount of dehydrated garlic:
Taking excess amount of garlic in our diet can cause liver disease or any hyper sensitivity to skin.
FDA Approval:FDA regarded Garlic safe as flavouring agent.