What is Egg?
Egg, the content of the hard-shelled reproductive body produced by a bird, considered as food.
Eggs have been used by human beings & other animals to make up their protein level in body. Egg yolks and whole eggs store significant amounts of protein and choline and are widely used in cookery and bakeries. Chicken eggs are widely used in many types of dishes, both sweet and savory, including many baked goods.
As an ingredient, egg yolks are an important emulsifier in the kitchen, and are also used as a thickener in custards. Egg whites may be aerated or whipped to a light, fluffy consistency, and are often used in desserts such as meringues and mousse. Ground egg shells are sometimes used as a food additive to deliver calcium.
Also Read: Various Enzymes Used in Bakery Products – Types, History, Production
They are frequently taken whole as a dish of their own, offering themselves nicely to pan frying, poaching, hard boiling, and can vary in texture and consistency depending on the temperature at which they are cooked.
History & origin of Egg
The chicken was probably domesticated for its eggs from jungle fowl native to tropical and subtropical Southeast Asia and India before 7500 BCE. Chickens were brought to Sumer and Egypt by 1500 BCE, and arrived in Greece around 800 BCE, where the quail had been the primary source of eggs. (egginfo.co.uk)
Use of EGG food Products:
- Egg is used as an emulsifier.
- It is used as food enhancer.
- It is a good thickening agent, as it can hold up to 4 times of its own weight.
- Egg is having good foaming property and thus used by bakery industries.
- Egg has great ability to leaven or puff up foods.
- It act as a binding agent, which binds and strengthen various ingredients together.
- It is used to add flavour to food product.
- It is used to improve the product’s texture.
- It is used in bakery industries.
- It is used to make mayonnaise, served with crispy food.
- It is also used in the preparation of desserts.
- Various soups, beverages & noodles also contain egg content.
- It is used in production of cakes & brownies.
Advantages of egg:
Also Read: Fat & Oils Used for Bakery Products – Saturated or Unsaturated
- Eggs are rich in proteins & vitamins.
- Eggs are used to coat foods.
- With the help of egg, emulsification is done better.
- It enhances the appearance of food product by maintaining its texture.
- It is inexpensive.
- They have good foaming ability for foods.
- It is used as an additive to expand volume of product.
Disadvantages of egg:
- Can cause certain allergic reactions.
- Some vegetarian people may found its odour in many products containing egg.
Egg as a food ingredient and fod additive is generally regarded as safe by FDA.